Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Carp On The Fly


Did a little recon on the carp over in Indiana on Memorial Day. Figured I'd be fishing for smallies with a crayfish pattern or largemouth with a streamer and I was wrong. I was pleasantly surprised to see that there were a large number of cruising carp in the main bodies of the lake inlets. There were a lot in the shallows as well (still spawning) but also a surprising number cruising around.

Water was pretty clear to about 3' of depth. Skies were blue with a little breeze to keep it comfortable but not enough of one to affect the casting. The weather and conditions were perfect.

I wasn't expecting to see many fish when I put the boat in the water but I was wrong. Unfortunately I figured I would rig my rod up in the boat and because of that saw about a dozen cruisers I couldn't make a cast to. The first fish I cast to was about 30' or so. I led him about 18" waited a second or two and and gave a couple 2-3" strips. That was all it took, the fight was on. Boated and released and went to next victim. Caught a few more before the wind really picked up which makes it real difficult to pick up cruising fish before they're on top of you.

The fish weren't as aggressive as mid to late summer, made some dead on casts with no response but that will change over the next few or so. All in all had a great day.

Check out the Fly Tying Bench for the "Gray White", if you not a tyer we stock them in the shop.


The next few weeks are going will be increasingly better.

No comments: